"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, September 5, 2022

Into the Flames Excerpt 3: Beginnings

 At that moment we pulled up to the parking lot Onyx’s car was in, and I was speechless. Without another word he got out of the car and started to walk over to his. I put the car in gear, rolled down the window, and pulled up next to him.

“Onyx?”

He turned around and bent down to my window. I quickly wrapped my arm around his neck and kissed him the same way he kissed me in the garage. I pulled away, smiled, and took my foot off the break. The look on his face as I drove away was priceless.

Again, for some unknown reason, I felt like I had known him my whole life. I had never been so comfortable with someone before. I couldn’t wait to see him again tomorrow.

Right at that moment my phone went off. At the next light I pulled it out of my pocket, a text from Onyx.

Pick you up at your house at 3:00 tomorrow.

I didn’t know why he needed to pick me up. We were supposed to have dinner at my house at 6:30. So I responded:

Dinner is at 6:30.

He responded pretty quickly, but the light changed, so I had to wait until the next one before I could read it, and of course all the rest of the lights were green. As soon as I pulled into the garage I pulled my phone out.

I know.

That was all he said… I had to smile.

Okay, as long as we’re back in time.

Don’t worry we will be.

Are you always so vague?

Maybe :)

Are you going to tell me where you are taking me, Mr. Fielding?

Nope, you will just have to wait and see. So what are your plans for the evening Ms. Jennings?

Nothing really, just relaxing. How about you?

Same thing. Have a good night, darling.

You too.

All excerpts are taking from a lightly edited draft. The contents may or may not make it into the final product as written here.

No comments:

Post a Comment