"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, March 28, 2022

Rage Excerpt 11: The Date

 “Thank you, Vanessa. Now you take care of yourself, and don’t hesitate to call if you need anything.”

“I won’t. You enjoy your night.”

When I hung up, I felt lighter.

“I wouldn’t have thought of that,” Nic said, startling me.

“What?” I asked as I turned to face him.

“Asking Raffe for support with the Committee.”

“Well, you don’t work for or with him, so it might be weird for you to call him,” I teased.

“He probably wouldn’t even take my call,” he said with mock hurt.

“What are you doing out here, Mr. Corbeau?”

“Well, Ms. Parker, I’m taking you on a date.”

“You’re doing what now,” I said with a bit of disbelief. “We are camping out for the third day in a row, which means no showers or clean clothes. Not to mention tomorrow is a make or break kind of day.”

“I know,” he said with a mischievous grin.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “I’ll give you this, you sure are persistent.”

“You did tell me you’d let me take you out.”

“That I did… Your timing is impeccable.”

“I know,” he said with an even bigger grin.

He walked slowly toward me and held his hand out, the question in his eyes. I could tell he was afraid I would reject him again. He really was sweet when he wasn’t being an ass. I put my hand in his and nodded. His answering smile made it all worth it.

This excerpt is taken from a lightly edited first draft. All content here may be changed or removed entirely from the final book.

No comments:

Post a Comment