"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, May 13, 2024

Annabell's First Charge pt2

 I didn’t know if he was going to go through with it. I would’ve had it done and over with by now. There wasn’t much to this job. It was an in-and-out with an injection. It was supposed to be a heart attack, some new drug. He’d been following this guy for what felt like an eternity. Hopefully, he was just being sure. If that was all it was, I could respect it. It was his first job…

If he didn’t go in for the kill soon, I’d have to do it and report back that he needed more training. I really didn’t want to do that. I wasn’t sure what would happen to him. I’d never heard about anything like that happening.

Finally, he was making a move. He picked his way across the rooftop, being much more careful than he needed to be at this time of the night, and then stopped above the mark’s window. I crossed my ankles and snuggled down in the jacket. I knew he couldn’t see me from where he was, not that he was looking. He’d need to work on that. The least he could’ve done was make an attempt to be sure he was the only one watching. Not that he would’ve found me if he went looking, but the effort would be needed.

His trip down the side of the building was smooth and almost looked effortless. It was impressive. I didn’t know what I was supposed to be reporting back. As soon as he moved in through the window, I stood and moved to the ledge. I pulled out my phone.

“Decker,” Arthur said as he answered.

“What am I supposed to be saying?”

“I heard you got your first newbie,” he said with a chuckle. “How’s he doing?”

“Fine,” I replied. “Took way longer to get this going than I would’ve.”

“Well, this is his first one,” Arthur said. “Cut him some slack.”

I pulled out the night vision binoculars. He’d been in there a long time, but I couldn’t see much of anything and had to move down further.

“Oh, shit,” I gasped.

“Uh oh,” Arthur said. “Did he mess it up?”

“I… ok,” I said as I leaned over further. “Ok. He was supposed to be quick, make it an accident, but he was just fighting the guy. Looks like he finally got him.”

“When he’s done, slip in there and make sure it’s clean,” Arthur said.

“And what am I supposed to report?” I asked.

“Whatever you want,” he replied. “Call me later and we can go over it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment