"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, April 11, 2022

An Interview: Ty

 “Good morning, Ty. How are you doing today?”

“Can’t complain,” he said as he leaned back in his chair, propping his elbow up on the back of it. “How about yourself?”

“Can’t complain. Are you ready to get started?”

“Mhmm,” he said, sounding more like a grunt than anything else.

“What do you like about your job?”

“Keeps me busy,” he said with a furrowed brow. “Raffe is a good guy. Coin is more than fair, don’t have to worry about much… Well, until recently. Lots of worrying across the board now.”

“Would you ever consider changing jobs, and if so, what would you want to do?”

“Nope. Work can be hard, but I’m good at it. My brother and I get to work most of it together. Not a bad gig.” He stretched his legs out in front of him and ran his hand through his hair.

“What’s a hobby you have?”

“Wood carvings. Small things mostly.”

“Small things like…?”

He pulled his legs back to him and leaned forward in his chair slightly. The first sign of more than professional courtesy or indifference he had shown.

“Usually small animals, but sometimes houses. I started making a small village a while ago,” he said with a gleam in his eye. “It’s on hold while other things are being handled.”

“I’m sure you could get some carving done while waiting for information or plans. Vanessa wouldn’t mind.”

“Maybe. I need my attention on the matters at hand, though,” he said as he leaned back. His expression shuttered. He wouldn’t go on with that line of questions.

“What got you started in carving?”

He relaxed a little, glad the subject of making time to carve now wasn’t being pushed.

“My mom carved things. She did figures and statues of all sizes. Sometimes things so big she had to make them in parts and attach them together. My dad would paint them. Sometimes the whole thing, other times just details.”

“That’s really great. I would love to see one of them sometime.”

He grunted in return. It was unclear if he agreed or not.

“What skill do you have that might be surprising?”

“Gardening maybe,” he said thoughtfully. “Nothing about me looks delicate, but I can cultivate flowers, fruits, and vegetables almost as well as a fairy. Just not off-season like they can.”

“That is fabulous! Do you grow a lot of your own food then?”

“Not a lot, but some,” he said, propping one ankle up on his knee. “I don’t have the time to dedicate to a full garden. I focus on a few flowers in the yard, some tomatoes, and some peppers.”

“Sounds rewarding.” 

He answered with only a grunt.

“What does the perfect vacation look like to you?”

“I haven’t really thought of it,” he said, frowning. “I work when Raffe needs me. Sometimes it’s constantly like now; other times, I have several days to myself. If I ever need time for something, Raffe would allow it. Unless, of course, something significant needed tending.”

“So you’ve never had a vacation?”

“I… I guess not in the traditional sense. But I am happy with my work and unbothered by not having a traditional vacation. If Raffe sends us to another city on business, he always tells us to take a tour of the city and enjoy ourselves.”

“Vanessa mentioned at one time that Raffe was not someone to mess with, but he doesn’t seem that frightening the way you talk about it.”

A Cheshire grin spread slowly across his face as he leaned back into his chair. “That’s because he knows I am loyal, work hard, and he likes me. Cross him, lie to him, or interfere with his business or family and you will see a very different side of him. Raffe runs in extremes.”

“I see. I’ll make sure to stay on his good side then. Ok, our last question before we wrap up: what do you think would be a perfect date?”

“Good food and starlight.”

“That’s pretty straightforward. Can you elaborate at all?”

“I think that’s about it. Good food; I’m not picky on what kind. Sitting under the stars.”

“Why is that the perfect date for you?”

“What someone considers good food is important in the long run. Sitting under the stars allows for conversations, but silences are spent looking up, so not awkward.”

“I like that. Ok, I’ve taken up enough of your time. Thank you for sitting down with me!”

“Mhmm,” he grunted as he stood and stretched before heading back to the portal that would take him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment