"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, August 7, 2023

Matchstick Excerpt 6: Bats

“The bats are out in full force tonight,” Annabell said.

“I’ve always loved watching them,” I said, grateful for something else to focus on.

“They have always creeped me out a little bit. I don’t want one to swoop down here and bite me,” Arthur said.

“They aren’t going to bite you,” I laughed.

“You don’t really know that, do you,” he grumbled.

“Are you a bug?” Annabell asked, trying to hide her grin. “If not, then you should be fine.”

He crossed his arms over his chest and scowled at Annabell. There was another noise in the woods. I turned my eyes back to the sky to keep from looking.

“It’s a raccoon,” Cali said softly in my ear.

I giggled. It didn’t sounds like me. It was borderline hysterical. I tried to reign it in, but I couldn’t. I was getting jumpy over a raccoon. I knew I sounded crazy. I knew I needed to cover it up.

“I’m sorry,” I said between fits of laughter. “I was just imagining a bat swooping down here to hang out with Arthur.”

Annabell started giggling too. Arthur was not amused.

(All excerpts are taken from a lightly edited first draft. Content here may be changed or removed entirely from the final novel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment