"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, May 29, 2023

An Interview: Ellie

“Thank you for coming in for the interview today.”

“It’s really no problem,” Ellie said as she practically skipped to her seat. “I was surprised you wanted to talk to me, of all people. Vanessa and James would be so much better at an interview.”

“Well, this is to get to know you a little better before really diving into the story Vanessa has been documenting.”

“Even still. My life wasn’t ever as exciting as theirs. Don’t get me wrong, I had a lot of fun. I’ve learned from some of the best teachers, traveled to several cities, and had the ability to go after anything that interested me. It just doesn’t feel like something people would be interested in hearing about,” she said with a laugh. She tucked her feet underneath her and folded her hands in her lap.

“What do you like about your job?”

“I don’t really have one right now,” she said, tipping her head to the side. “I’d really like to work with Vanessa and James, but I don’t know if that will actually happen. Can I answer like it’s already my job?”

“Sure!”

“Digging up information that isn’t supposed to be found is fun. It’s a challenge every time to strike just the right cord with the magic to pull in what you want. It’s a high when you can pull it off. Plus, there is an air of danger around? Like, I don’t want to be at serious risk all the time, but like there is a real chance something could happen because of what you’re doing. It’s not just hypo research. It’s real, and it’s out there, and it’s exciting! I also really like being around James and Vanessa! The way they work together and get things done together. They really are the siblings I’ve never had and never knew I wanted. Ya know?” she said, barely taking a breath. “Oh! And Thomas! It’s so awesome. We have spent some time geeking out together with tech stuff.”

“Seems like there is a lot about it you really love.”

“There really is!” she said, grinning from ear to ear. She was dying to say more about it but was trying to restrain herself. Something she surely was learning from Vanessa.

“Would you ever consider a different job, and if so, what would you want to do?”

“I wouldn’t want to do anything else,” she sighed. “It really is perfect for me. I’m afraid she will tell me I can’t work for her.” She looked down at her hands as she picked at the hem of her shirt. She realized what she was doing and flushed before stilling her hands. “If she said no, I’d probably try to find something with tech. I’m good at it. So, somewhere would probably take me.”

“I’m sure many places would love to have you on their payroll.” She beamed and relaxed a little. “What’s a hobby you have?”

“I’ve talked about the tech stuff already, but I also really like history. When I was a kid and my parents went to see Lexi, I always went with them. I asked her all kinds of questions and was always trying to look at all her books. She would scold me and act mad, but I saw the small smile she’d get when she thought I wasn’t looking.” She looked pleased with herself. Her hands were still, but her eyes were bright as she continued. “Sometimes, I could tell she wasn’t having a good day, and I would leave her alone. Even then, she would still hand me a book to borrow. I think she actually likes kids; she just doesn’t want anyone to know it. I don’t know why. She was always really good with me. Well, other than the grunting and mumbling and occasional swearing. Ok, maybe she wasn’t really good with me, but I liked her a lot!”

“How did learning about tech and history become your hobbies?”

“For tech, it was mostly about being nosey. I wanted to know things and had the tools needed to learn. No matter how hard I tried, though, my parents were always a step ahead of me, and I never learned anything good about them. It didn’t stop me from trying. I think they liked it that I did. I mean, not that I was trying to spy on them, but that I had that kind of determination, and then later, I think they were proud of all I taught myself.”

She was sitting forward in her chair, hands getting more and more animated as she talked. She finally had to put one of her feet back on the floor so she didn’t fall over forward. It didn’t occur to her that if she relaxed and leaned back, she wouldn’t need her foot on the floor.

“When it comes to history, I have just always loved it. I think it helped that Lexi had so much of it too. She had loads of stuff in her house, and seeing it was always a highlight of my day. So, I wanted more. I guess I’m greedy like that. Once I get that initial taste of information, it’s like a drug I can’t get enough of. Vanessa says that’s good but that I need to learn how to reign myself in and take direction better. That’s probably true. We’ll see.”

She realized how she was sitting and flushed again. She leaned back, pulled her leg underneath her again, and folded her hands in her lap.

“What skill do you have that might be surprising?”

“I don’t think anything I do is all that surprising,” she said, brow furrowed. “I mean, the tech stuff always surprises people at first, but I’m told I talk a lot and don’t leave anything a mystery. Vanessa thinks I should work on that. James and Thomas think it’s amusing, I think. Lexi acts like it annoys her, but she still does stuff with and for me all the time.”

“What does the perfect vacation look like to you?”

“I like camping,” she said, leaning forward again, eyes wide and bright. “The smells, the sounds, the animals, and all the plants just everywhere. It’s relaxing and pretty, and I could spend a lot of time out there. I haven’t had the chance in a while. Things were pretty busy for a while before my parents died, and since then, it’s been crazy too. Maybe soon. Oh! But it was kinda like camping a couple times when the whole group of us had to travel between cities. Not quite, because we were tired from walking or riding and stuff, but still. I did like doing it.”

“What about a perfect date?”

She blanched and looked back at her hands.

“I don’t really have any desire to? I like having friends, and sometimes if I’m really close friends with someone, I like to cuddle up with them while we watch something or just talk, but beyond that… I just don’t have any interest in it. I never have. I will always want to be surrounded by people I love; I just won’t love them in that way.”

That’s fair. Not everyone wants to be in a romantic relationship. So, how about your ideal evening with someone you love?”

“Laying in the grass, looking up at the stars. I wouldn’t want it to be too warm, but also not cold either. There is this sweet spot that is hard to explain. It depends on the wind and temp and the humidity, but once you find it…” she swooned a little thinking about it. Her face aglow with wonder. “You can lay there in silence watching the stars, have a lighthearted chat, or dive into a deep, meaningful conversation. You can even wing around between all three. It just makes anything possible, and it’s that just perfect?”

“It sounds amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me, Ellie.”

“Thank you for listening. I’m sure I talked your ear off the whole time. I’m trying to get better at that, but I think I have a long way to go. Especially if Vanessa is going to let me work for her. I can’t do that with clients… I’m doing it again,” she said, blushing. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s ok. It was very nice talking to you. The portal will take you back.”

She popped up to her feet and hurried over to the portal.

No comments:

Post a Comment