"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, March 13, 2023

Into the Flames Excerpt 5: Dreams

 

“I thought pink was your favorite color ever?” I asked her. 

“It is! That doesn’t mean my bedroom should be painted pink. It needs to have versatility,” she said. 

“You watch way too many DIY shows.”

“Well, I’ve decided I want to be an interior designer. If you keep the walls  more neutral, except a feature wall, you can add all your personality with the accessories.”

“So you’re saying I shouldn’t have painted my walls so dark.”

“You can, and a darker blue is easier to work with than a bright pink. The darker color definitely doesn’t make your room look smaller,” she said with a grin. 

“What if I wanted it to look smaller, all in my grand expert design?”

“If you want to live in a cave, then you’ve made the right call.”

I rolled my eyes at her, and we moved more of her stuff out of the room. Hayden and I liked painting, so our parents left us to it. As we got out the last of the stuff, I carried the drop cloths and paint in. Our rooms weren’t that big, so it wouldn’t take long for the two of us to get it done. 

“This frosted gray matches my eyes and can easily be styled with anything you want,” she said as she poured the paint into the tray. 

“Whatever you say, baby sister.”

“How long am I going to be called ‘baby’?” she asked with a sigh. 

“For however many years you’re younger than me,” I said as I flicked a little bit of paint at her.

She got me back a few minutes later. She snuck up on me and painted a line right up my jaw and over my cheek.

All excepts are taken from a lightly edited first draft. They may be changed or removed entirely from the completed book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment