"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Grisha- ♥♥♥♥♥

By Leigh Bardugo

I've been debating whether or not to put this up, I decided the series was too good not to. In the future books will be reviewed individually, and I might add a final post to cover the series as a whole. This series I finished before I decided to write about them, and since lines blur between books easily... I decided to do them all at once. When I started my journey with the Grisha I didn't read them in the correct order. Overall nothing was ruined (just a few minor plot lines), but I suggest reading the Grisha trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, Ruin and Rising) before reading Six of Crows and its sequel, Crooked Kingdom.

I really loved these five books for so many reasons!

1. There are so many important issues addressed and discussed. Slavery, human trafficking, racism, sexism, poverty, and grief just to name the big ones. It adds a lot of depth to the story, and it shows how all of these issues can impact individuals and society. Greed is a pretty big one too. The entire Unsea (something you learn about very early in on in the Grisha trilogy) is the result of one man's greed. It's all written and handled beautifully.

2. In the Grisha trilogy, you love the villain but hate them too. For me, a sign of a great writer is someone that can make you care about their villain. You realize they are a villain and need to be stopped, but at the same time you feel for them and know where they are coming from.

3. The characters are easy to connect with. There's a lot of them (over 20), but each of them will get a special place in your heart. It doesn't feel over bearing. It feels natural.

4. It’s well written. The only complaint I have is it's written in third person. I'm not of huge fan of third person, but that's personal preference. All of the plots arch perfectly. There isn't really any lulls in the books. All of it has a purpose. Filler wasn't needed, the story was good all on its own.

5. The relationships feel authentic. So many times you read stories and it seems no matter what happens each couple is immediately forgiving (or at least too forgiving). That doesn't really happen here. The progression of the relationship is realistic. The fights are dealt with. Lines are drawn in the sand. It made rooting for them feel so much better.

6. The complexities of Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom were intensely satisfying. I'm usually really good at picking up clues and guessing plot twists before they happen. I never hold that against a book; it’s just something I like to challenge myself with. These two books? I was nowhere close. The twists and shifts in power were impressive to watch unfold. I feel like every time you read it you will find hidden gems you won't believe you've missed.

Ok, on to the stuff I was less than happy with.

1. The ending of the Grisha trilogy. It wasn't awful, there were just a few smaller things that got under my skin. I felt like there were two alternative ways the major plot arch could've taken to make it sit better with me.

2. I feel like Crooked Kingdom's ending left a great launching pad for another book. From what I understand Bardugo said she may come back to the series, but she may not. That could be why it was left the way it was. It isn't a bad ending, it just left you with some questions about the future.

3. I would have liked to see a little more background on the Suli. Again, it's not a major problem, but I think it would have enhanced the connection to one of the plots.

In summary, I highly recommend these books. The few things that bothered me were minor, and the good greatly outweighs it!

Rating:


♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment