"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, June 19, 2023

An Interview: Arthur

“Thank you for taking the time to sit down with me.”

“My pleasure,” Arthur said as he sat down. “I’ve got a lot on my plate, though. If we could keep this quick, I’d appreciate it.”

“Of course. Let’s jump right in. How do you take your coffee?”

“Little bit of half and half, but I prefer tea. Seems to hit better.”

He leaned back in the chair and propped his elbow up on the back of it. At a glance, he looked relaxed, but if you looked closer, you could see he was coiled for action. He could be on his feet in a heartbeat if needed.

“Where is your favorite place?”

“Joe and Renee’s house,” he said without hesitation. “They are my family. Watching the girls grow up has been one of the best things in my life.”

“That’s very sweet. You’ve spent a lot of time there?”

“I spend most of my time there when I’m not working. It’s been a lot more in recent years,” he said.

He started to relax a little more. Some of the tension eased out of him. There was still a silent strength about him. His expression was unchanging. He was a hard man to read.

“What’s your favorite book?”

“Anything paranormal,” he said with a grin.

“Onyx said he likes things with vampires. I find it amusing that you like things with secret cultures while you belong to one yourself.”

“That’s what makes it so interesting. How interesting would it be to find out there are even more secret worlds out there? We exist; who says they can’t?”

He leaned forward slightly. He was still guarded, but his eyes had lit up now.

“What’s your favorite movie?”

“Pulp Fiction,” he said with a laugh. “There is so much to unpack with it. So many ways to enjoy it. It’s a wild ride.”

“That's surprising.”

“I could see that, but it’s the humor and overall impact that makes it so great. Every time you watch it, you pick out something else to love about it.”

“What’s a hobby you have?”

“I like woodworking and home improvements.”

“What is it that drew you to those?”

“I like seeing things created,” he said, tipping his head to the side. “I’ve ended a lot of lives. Some of them deserved it, others… well, I can’t ever be sure. Seeing that I can use my hands to create and not just destroy is important for my sanity.”

“I think that sounds reasonable.”

“A lot of us are like that. I know Annabell likes to create things too.”

He glanced at his watch and then clasped his hands together. He was ready to head back.

“Only a couple more questions, then you can be on your way. What skill do you have that might be surprising?”

“I crochet,” he said with a grin. “I don’t do it often anymore, but I can kill someone in an unlimited number of ways and then come home and make a blanket.”

“What does the perfect vacation look like to you?”

“Books, and a lot of them. Wood would also be nice. I don’t have much of a preference on location. Probably not in a city since it isn’t quiet. I’d want to read and craft things.”

“What about people to have with you?”

“I’m not opposed to having people around,” he said thoughtfully. “But it would depend on the timing. Sometimes the time alone would be great. Others, being surrounded by people I love would also be great.”

“What about a perfect date?”

“Sky diving,” he said with a wicked grin. “Maybe not always. Doing something wild and spontaneous and adrenaline-pumping makes for the best dates. It’s something you’ll always remember.”

“Anyone you would date has to have that taste for danger, an adrenaline junky.”

“Absolutely,” he said, maintaining his grin.

“I really appreciate your time. I think that’s all I’ve got for you.”

“It was an honor. I’ve got a lot to take care of. I’m sure there will be more interviews in the future,” he said as he stood.

“There most certainly will be.”

He nodded his head in acknowledgment and strode toward the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment