"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, July 17, 2023

Matchstick Excerpt 5: Smores

Once I got the fire going, I plopped down in front of it. I saw the people in the cabin next to us. They were a young couple, and they raised a hand in greeting as they got their own fire going.

“Ok, ready to eat?” Onyx said as he settled in next to me.

“Can we eat the smores first?”

“You are going to end up eating all the smores, and then you won’t want a hot dog,” he said laughing.

I just grinned. He rolled his eyes, but the smile never left his face. He handed me a stick and I popped a marshmallow on it. I stuck it immediately in the fire and waited for it to be engulfed in flames before bringing it slowly back to me to blow it out. Onyx shook his head.

“They are better if you burn the outside, and it doesn’t take as long before you get to eat them,” I said as I smooshed it between the chocolate and crackers.

“Patience is a virtue,” he said.

“One that I do not possess.”

I squealed as he reached over and scooped me up, placing me in his lap. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my cheek. I leaned back into him and rested my hands on his arms. I could stay like this all night. I tipped my head back and laid it on his shoulder.

(All excerpts are taken from a lightly edited first draft. The content may change or be removed entirely from the final novel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment