"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, July 3, 2023

When Arthur Met Annabell

I never liked the jobs I had to work with other people. It was easier to get things done by yourself. Having someone else around was a wild card. If they got sloppy, you would get wrapped up in it. I was supposed to be meeting whoever it was at the airport. They had to fly in. International jobs were always harder too. Human customs, laws, passports, etc., had to be respected. It didn’t matter that I was in what was equivalent to their military black ops. We didn’t get special treatment. We didn’t have workarounds.

I was already here when they told me someone else would join me. The job had gotten more complicated. Instead of just a warlord, three of his wives had to go too. Apparently, they were a party to whatever this was. They decided I couldn’t take on all four by myself. It was possible, not ideal, but possible. Yet here I was, standing in an airport, holding a sign that said, Bellamy. I knew that wasn’t a real name. We weren’t allowed to have those until we showed up.

The plane had finally landed. People were streaming off. Most happily chatting amongst themselves. A few were on their own. I eyed everyone carefully, trying to determine who I was there for. That’s when the small blonde ambled up to me.

“You must be my ride,” she drawled.

“I think you’re mistaken,” I said. “I’m here for Bellamy. We have a job to do together.”

“Then I’m in the right place, sugar,” she said with a wink.

She walked passed me and forced me to catch up. I sized her up as I approached. She was built like a debutante and was much too… happy. Very few Garrote members showed up to a meet like this with a smile on their face. I hoped this wasn’t her first job. I didn’t want to be responsible for getting us both out of there.

“I’ve got a few bags to grab,” she drawled as I matched her pace. “You can go on and get the car. I’ll meet you out front.”

I didn’t answer her. I was too annoyed by the entire situation. I walked off in the direction of the doors. I didn’t want to have to train her. That would add more time to this. I was supposed to get back home as soon as possible. Harley had started to come into her magic. I was so proud of her; I wanted to see her wielding it. Her birthday was coming up too. I promised her I would come to her birthday party this year. I had to miss the last three because I was working.

I climbed into the car and sighed. I had to be nice to her. If I was nice to her and tried to match her energy, it would be easier for us to work together. I put the car in gear and got in the line for picking up travelers. The line was moving relatively quickly, but it was still taking longer than I wanted it to.

I saw her walk out of the building. She didn’t know what car I was in, so she wasn’t going to come looking for me. A man started to approach her. I didn’t like the look of him. He was leering at her. Raking his eyes over her body like a dog checking out a steak. He reached out and touched her arm. She pulled away. I couldn’t hear what she said, but he didn’t look happy. He reached for her again. I was about to get out of the car to help her.

She grabbed his arm, twisted it behind his back, and slammed him face-first into the ground. Somehow she had a gun in her hand, pressed into his back. People started to scurry away, but she produced something from her shirt that made them feel better, but only just.

She leaned down and said something to him. He nodded franticly, and she let go. She readjusted the bag over her shoulder that she hadn’t bothered removing before flinging that guy onto the ground.

I finally got up to where she was and popped the trunk. She tossed her bags in there before plopping down in the passenger seat and holstering her gun.

“How in the hell did you get away with having a gun on the plane?” I asked her incredulously.

“I have an air marshal badge,” she said, grinning as she flashed it at me.

“They let you go through a human law enforcement training?”

“I didn’t say I was an air marshal. I said I have a badge,” she said, tucking it back in her shirt. “I probably shouldn’t have flipped him like that. Drew too much attention to myself. It’s one of those things, though. He approached me because I’m small, cute, and I look friendly. Maybe next time, he will think twice before accosting a woman.”

“What did you say to him when you had him on the ground?” I asked her as I pulled the car back into traffic.

“That if he ever did that again, I’d find him and cut his balls off. Then I told him he owed me an apology, which he offered up very quickly.”

“How long have you been in?” I asked.

“About a year and a half now,” she said thoughtfully. “This is my first time going overseas, though. Maybe after the job is done, I can get away with some sightseeing before they send me off again.”

It was right then I knew I liked her. She didn’t hesitate to capitalize on a situation. Scare the living daylights out of a sleazeball and then ponder tourist spots. It was a good trait to have in this field. I would be happy to work with her now and in the future. There were very few people I could say that about.

No comments:

Post a Comment