"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, July 31, 2023

An Interview: Carly

“Thank you for coming in for the interview today.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Carly said as she folded herself into the chair. “It’ll be fun.”

“What do you like about your job?”

“Helping people,” she said easily. “I like helping to get people on their feet again and will do so however I can.”

“What made you pick a coffee shop?”

“I like coffee,” she said with a grin, leaning back into the chair. “It also provides a community space. Anyone can come in and sit. Everyone knows I don’t tolerate bullshit in my establishment. They are safe there.” She looked thoughtful, tilting her head to the side. “I think that’s why Vanessa and I get along so well. She’s a little… abrasive. However, she doesn’t let people get away with bullshit either.”

“You two would make a formidable team.”

“You know Vanessa would roll her eyes at that, but she would be secretly pleased.”

Would you ever consider changing jobs, and if so, what would you want to do?”

“I don’t think I would,” she said, running her hand through her hair. “I don’t need to work. I have more coin than I could ever spend. I didn’t open that place to make money. It was just to help people. A safe space, a job, food, etc.”

“You truly are happy there.”

“Very much so,” she said with another smile.

“What’s a hobby you have?”

“Baking,” she said. “It relaxing, and it’s also something you can experiment with. Flavors, textures, even the products themselves.”

“Baking is a part of your job, though. Is it really a hobby?”

“Very much so,” she nodded. “I don’t serve everything I bake at the shop, but it can give me ideas.” She leaned forward and rested her elbows on her knees, lacing her fingers. “I’ve been working on a few new things I want to bring into the shop. It’s a fun challenge to find a way to make it work. As long as a batch is edible, I give to various groups living in the streets.”

“How did baking come to be hobbies of yours?”

“My mom wanted me to bake with her all the time,” she replied, fidgeting with her laced fingers. “She liked to experiment too. She told me it was a productive way to keep your brain sharp. After she died, I kept it up in her honor.”

“What skill do you have that might be surprising?”

“Fancy bar tricks and pool,” she said, leaning back with a mischievous grin. “For the bar tricks, I use syrups, whipped cream, and coffee paraphernalia. I don’t often do it in the shop, but it can be fun. The pool… I like to go into bars and hustle the arrogance off those that are rude to barmaids. I’m surprised I don’t already have a reputation for it.”

“That sounds a like it’s more of a hobby for you.”

“It is, in a way. Playing pool very well is a skill; hustling the arrogant assholes with attitude is a hobby.”

“Speaking of, how do you feel about Thomas now? You dressed him down in your shop at least once.”

“Thomas is one of the good ones,” she said with a warm smile. “He was a little lost and needed someone to stand up to him.”

“Do you credit James for some of that transformation?”

“No,” she said adamantly. “If you ask him, he would say it was all James, but that takes away from the work he put into himself. The people around him helped to guide him. He was the one to make the decision to listen and grow. I won’t take that away from him.”

“That’s a good way to look at it.”

She flashed a smile and shifted in the chair. The calm mask she wore was belied by the movement.

“People are ultimately in charge of their own lives. The rest of us can only provide support.”

“What does the perfect vacation look like to you?”

“Anything with horses. Caring for them, riding them, training them. I’ve always loved being around horses.” Her body relaxed some as a memory flashed across her face. “They are smarter than people give them credit for. While only fairies can talk to them directly, they do still speak to you; you just have to be willing to listen.”

“What about a perfect date?”

“I don’t date. I’m not really interested in it. I never have been. I just can’t put my heart into it. I’d rather cultivate deep friendships.”

“Those friendships sound wonderful.”

“They are. I cherish every one of them,” she said fondly.

“Thank you for taking the time to come and chat with me.”

“Anytime,” she said as she stood. “I’m sure I’ll be back once things settle down a little back in Kadence.”

“I look forward to it.”

She strode to the portal and tossed a wave and a smile over her shoulder before stepping through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment