"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, April 3, 2023

Into the Flames Excerpt 6: Annabell

 She lifted the purse out of the crook of her elbow and went to unzip it. She stumbled a little on the uneven concrete, and it fell from her hands. Makeup, receipts, and other random items spilled out. I looked over at Arthur and smiled. He had noticed people close to Kendall's car, and recognition flashed in his eyes. I dropped to my knees and planted the tracker near the wheel well on the passenger side before helping Renee pick up the contents of her purse. 

"I did leave my wallet," she said as we stood up. 

We started to make our way back to the car when I felt my cell phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw it was a text from Arthur.

What are you doing here!

I smiled. It wasn't easy to surprise him, and I always loved to be the one to do it.

Saving your ass. :)

Annabell! You should be resting.

You worry too much. I'm fine, I promise. Plus, I planted a tracker.

Where are you parked?

At the lot next door.

I saw him start his car as we walked by. He pulled out of the parking lot and into the one we had parked in. Onyx stepped out.

"Arthur wants to talk to you," he said with a grin.

(All excerpts are taken from a lightly edited first draft. They may be changed or removed from the final book.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment