"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, April 24, 2023

Matchstick Excerpt 1: The Getaway

 

“Are we there yet,” I asked Onyx with a grin.

“Almost,” he said, winking at me.

“You’ve been saying ‘almost’ for over an hour,” I laughed. “I think you need a new definition.”

“Just trying to keep you on your toes!”

“You still won’t tell me where we are going?”

“Nope, it’s still a secret.”

I stuck my hand out the window just enough to twirl it through the wind. We weren’t driving nearly as fast as we had the last time we took the Spider to a date. The suspense was killing me. He wouldn’t even tell me for sure what to pack. He said all I needed was some clothes and a bathing suit. I didn’t know how long he had been planning this, but he had already thought of everything. No matter what argument I made for not going, he had a counter argument. Arthur was there to back him up.

After all the effort and work we had put into tracking Dunham Marshawn, our next Order target, I felt obligated to be there for the last minute prep. We were going after him on Tuesday. I knew it wasn’t an argument I was going to win. So, I had to pack a bag for a trip I didn’t know anything about.

I was glad to be out of the house. Onyx kept telling me how important it was to enjoy the downtime when we had it, but it was still hard for me to accept. Maybe he was right after all. I didn’t want to tell him that. I already knew what look he would give me.

Now we’re almost there,” Onyx said with his signature grin as he pulled off the expressway.

“There is nothing out here.”

“That’s the point. Wouldn’t be much of a getaway if there were people everywhere, would it?”

(All excerpts are taken from a lightly edited first draft. The content may change or be removed entirely from the finished novel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment