"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Friday, January 10, 2020

Jennifer Estep- Protect the Prince ♥♥♥♥♥

Jennifer Estep- Protect the Prince
417 pages

I'm in love with Jennifer Estep's writing style. I found her through the Elemental Assassin series and fell madly in love. This series is just as wonderful, and I really like the small nods in the first book to Gin and everyone. 

I've really liked watching Evie figure herself out. She has grown a lot since the beginning of the first book. I am a little unhappy with the character development of Sully and Paloma, though. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but it feels like they are startlingly the same as when the series began. There have been some small changes, but it's not enough. Until the last couple of chapters. Almost as though the evolution of their characters was an afterthought. 

The storyline was really interesting, and the only problem I had with it was the level of foreshadowing. I knew the big twist almost immediately after the set up for the "end game" of the book. It would have been nice to have a little more guesswork involved. Maybe it was intentional, but it was frustrating to know, 100%, where things were headed, and to have Evie so oblivious. 

That being said, I'm really excited about Crush the King! There is still so much I want to know, and several questions I still have. This series very much so adds to the love I have of Jennifer Estep. (As a side note, her website is lovely, and she makes it so easy to identify what order her books and short stories should be read in. Something is that woefully underrated). 

♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment