"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Monday, January 6, 2020

Love and Relationships

Originally posted to Tumblr on May 25, 2018. This post was apart of the user created FicFest, and the theme of the day was romance.

I have two relationships I want to showcase today. First is James and Thomas. I really love these two, and this is an excerpt from Rage:


The entry way was breathtaking. Pale pink cherry blossoms interspersed with red honeysuckles lined the walls, and vases of crimson lilies and blue and green dahlias made a pathway toward the living room; it created the most intoxicating scent. It was an incredible display meaning beauty, happiness, passion, and commitment respectively.

James was standing to my left still awestruck. I smiled at him and nudged him forward. His eyes glistening, he started slowly forward. I followed closely behind him, heart racing, hands trembling. James was like a brother to me, and seeing all of this done for him made me love Thomas all the more. As he turned to the living room he came to an abrupt halt, and I bumped into his shoulder. He reached down to take my hand.

Peering over his shoulder I saw why. Red and pink peonies and purple and pink sweet peas covered every surface. Sweet peas were his favorite. Gus and Cassidy were standing on either side of the doorway across from us. Gus was fidgeting with the sleeves of his jacket, and had tears rolling down his cheeks. Cassidy looked like she had been crying most of the day, and her damp lapels seemed to confirm it. They both dipped their heads to James before pushing the door open. Thomas was standing there with a shy smile. His charcoal grey suit looked brand new. His hands were in his pockets, but it didn’t hide his jittery fingers.

I squeezed James’s hand once before letting go. He turned and gave me a hug, squeezing me tightly and whispered, “check out the neighbors my ass.” I kissed his cheek and grinned at him.

“What are best friends for?”

He swiped at his eyes before turning around and walking further into the room. They both walked slowly and deliberately, meeting halfway. Thomas took his hands, and smiles nervously. Ellie and I slipped a little further into the room, but stayed out of the way. I saw Ms. Claudette sitting in a chair in the corner of the room and gave her a small wave.

“Do you remember how we met?” Thomas practically whispered.

“I do,” James said with a laugh. “I called you an entitled jackass after you spilled coffee all over V and tried to make her pay for it.”

“It was a rough day, but I did apologize for that,” Thomas said with a grin.

“You still owe me a skirt,” I mumbled.

He flashed me a smile, before stepping in closer to James.

“That day was one of the best and the worst days for me. I very nearly lost everything, but then I met you. Granted, at first it was my rage at your audacity that kept me going, but then I ran into you a few more times, not literally thank the gods. I started to notice how kind you were to everyone around you, even me. How your smile lit up the room. I think your eternally optimistic view of the world started to rub off on me.”

He looked down, his voice had started to quiver. He was rubbing the pad of his thumb slowly back and forth over the back of James hand.

“You forgave me and convinced Vanessa not to murder me when I asked for your number. You’ve taught me how to cope with the stress of my job. You’ve taught me how important empathy is. You still love me even when I forget those things and lose my temper. James, having you in my life is more than I could have ever hoped for.”

My heartbeat sped up, and goosebumps spread across my skin. Tears were threatening to spill over as I watched the most heartwarming love sweep over my best friends face. Tears had started to slowly slide down his cheeks. I could hear Cassidy and Ellie sniffling, but I was too transfixed by James to glance at them.

“I want to wake up to you every morning. Fall asleep next to you every night. I want to stand in the bright shine of your empathy and compassion every day. I want to listen to your worries and soothe your fears. I want to grow old with you, and build that small cabin on Oasis Lake. I want all your tomorrows.”

Thomas’s voice started to quiver even more. Tears were spilling faster, and it looked like he had started squeezing James’s hands. My breath hitched as I failed to keep the tears back. Thomas reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, vivid purple stone. It was an oval amethyst, jaggedly cut in half. Thomas bowed his head slightly.

“James would you do me the honor of binding your soul to mine for the rest of our days?”

“It would be my honor,” James breathed as he placed his hands gently on either side of Thomas’s face. He leaned in slowly and kissed him. Thomas’s arms slid around his waist and pulled him closer, holding on to him tightly.

I was the first of the rest of us to move. I sprung to my feet, whistling while I clapped. The others followed suit, and when Thomas and James broke apart, Thomas was blushing, but I had never seen him happier. I ambled over to James and pulled him into a hug.

“I’m so happy for you,” I whispered, squeezing him harder.

“Thank you,” he said back. I held on to him a moment longer, but had to let go for everyone else to have a turn.

The second one is Gus and Cassidy. This happens fifteen years before the start of Rage. I decided to write this out for this fest. I think I will write a lot more of their story sometime soon, but for now, the proposal:

It had been a long day, but Gus had seemed so excited to have dinner she couldn’t bear to say no. At least it was cooling down. The setting Harvest sun not quite as harsh as Torrid was. She wished she had time to shower, but she was running late as it was. The park Gus wanted to meet in was in neutral territory. They wouldn’t have to worry as much about prying eyes. The last several years had been rough. Neither of them were able to get their races to understand. They hadn’t meant to fall in love after all. They didn’t even know the sort of chaos it would bring.

When the park came into view, she wasn’t even sure what she was seeing. There were lights strung up over all the trees. They twinkled pale blues and yellows. An archway had been erected just inside the gate. Snap dragons flourished at its base, with lilac and trumpet vine weaving through the wooden spokes. She took a deep breath and held is as she stepped under the beautiful arch. There were candles and snap dragons everywhere. Vibrant colors made it all the more lovely by the twilight.

Randle stepped forward to pull her into a tight hug. Her cousin’s presence here explained having so many off season flowers looking so lovely. He held on a little longer than normal for fairies. When he stepped back his eyes were shining.

“You’re a very lucky woman, Issy. I’m always on your side,” he said softly as he led her over to a table she hadn’t seen before.

Cassidy tried to ask him what was going on, but he shook his head slightly and pulled out a chair. She sat down, looking wide eyed around the park. So much had gone into this.

Gus stood near the entrance of the park mostly shielded by a tree. The look of awe on Cassidy’s face made everything worth it. Without her cousin’s help, he wouldn’t have been able to create this for her. He watched Randle get her settled into a chair and slip out of the park. He took a deep breath and walked out from his hiding spot.

She was breathtaking as always. Her golden hair was piled on top of her head. She would say she looks like a wreck, but this was how she was the most beautiful to him. He ambled over to her, his smile portrayed more confidence than he felt.

“Gus… this is beautiful,” she said softly.

“I’m glad you think so, it looks like I’m off to a good start,” he replied. He dropped to one knee and took both of her hands in his. “The last few years with you have been incredible. Even with only stolen moments and secret dates, it’s been the greatest part of my life.”

“Oh Gus, I love you,” she breathed.

“I want all of my days to be spent with you. Run away with me Issy. Run away and affirm me.”

“It could never work. I love you deeply, but the fairies will never condone an affirmation.”

“It could. Randle has been helping me. We can slip out into the woods outside the city. It would take a few days, but we could make our way to Kadence. Randle found a witch that earned the attention of Raffe. She could help us.”

“Raffe? The gangster that owns almost all the docks in Hearth? How can anyone associated with him be of any meaningful help for us?”

“She has connections that could help, plus she already has a reputation for being bold and defiant.”

“I… is it really possible?” she asked tentatively.

“It is if you want it to be. Run away with me and make me the happiest man in existence.”

“Yes,” she laughed. “Yes, let’s do it! When can we leave?”

“Right now. Randle packed a bag for you and will meet us at the wall tonight.”

He pulled her close and kissed her softly, promising himself that he would always do right by her.

**All excerpts are lightly edited from a first draft. All content may be changed or removed from the final product.**

No comments:

Post a Comment