"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is and just do what they would do."- Neil Gaiman

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Undead and Undermined- ♥♥


279 pages

Ugh… where to start… Ok, a lot of people seemed to get angry over the last book. I really liked the last one for the most part. This one though… I had trouble getting through it. Part of it might be because I am not a huge fan of time travel and messing with timelines (everything being different is a pain in my ass, makes keeping character arks in check difficult, and over complicates the story line). Part of it is just the vastly different tone of this book. I loved how lighthearted and breezy this series was. Don’t get me wrong, I read a lot things that are dark and heavy, but I expect it going in. I feel like completely changing the books and their overall feel can be a pretty big slap in the face to the readers. I was ok with going along with it all in the last book because it still carried some of the lightheartedness I expect out of Betsy, and change in a series can be a good thing (after all, when each book is almost exactly like the last a series can start to drag). This book? There was almost nothing lighthearted about it. I get it, she writes for herself, I do to, but I feel like there are some lines you have to not cross. If she wanted to write something serious and heavy she should have started a new series. I am going to stick with the series only because I’m invested. I don’t have the ability to walk away without knowing what happens. I will say that I am pretty disappointed with how this is going. I sincerely hope before the end the series can redeem itself… otherwise I will have to remove this series as one I highly recommend to other people.

I feel like I can’t give anything in regard to character development because none of them are what they started as. I think it’s kind of a cop out to just give yourself a complete do-over when you want to see a character in a situation you took away from them instead of either realizing the moment is gone, or taking the character through a process of realization and change.

I’m pretty disappointed right now, and not really looking forward to the next book…

Rating:
♥♥


For a more detailed review (including spoilers), click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment